Sunday, August 31, 2014

Week # 1

I am sure I will remember forever our first day of homeschooling.  It was such an awesome day.  I woke up with so much joy and thankfulness.  I was just REJOICING!    God is so good.  This is such a DREAM to me.  A dream I couldn't even imagine, really.   His gifts are better than we can think up!    I really believe the Lord is so delighted as He watches us unwrap the presents He gives.  He is the perfect Father.   :)

We THANK YOU God for this gift of homeschooling and being present with each other.  THANK YOU for the freedom to teach our children in our home and daily life.  THANK YOU for how you have miraculously prepared me and made this calling possible in my life.    I know this is a miracle that I had the faith not fear to step out and obey you.  Lord, you can change anybody.  You call us then you equip us.  You are El Shaddai, you can do anything!!    THANK YOU for choosing us, calling us and then graciously using us as imperfect as we are!!!  

Each week I am going to choose a verse, old hymn, new praise song & out of the box song (Lecrae mostly) that will coincide with our DREAM Academy rule or character trait we are focusing on that week.  I LOVE how God leads our children and teaches them.   I pray for each thing I choose/do with teaching them and then make a simple choice without agonizing over it....and then I watch Him work.  And He always does!  He really just so beautifully links all the songs, Bible teachings, devotions, experiences of the week.  He has been doing this so long in our home as we teach the children about Him and about life..... so adding in extra rules, and different subjects just is a smooth transition.  :)

He truly is the best teacher and is so capable.  We can trust Him!  He is already working in our hearts & lives every moment -- we just have to be open to it.  Obey Him.  Go when He calls.  Stop when He says to stop.  Look when He says to look.  Listen when He pricks up our heart-ears.  Just FOLLOW Him and His gentle shepherd's nudging.

Here was the white board for week 1. We focused on doing ALL things for the King...to go along with DREAM Academy Rule # 1 - Always Do Your Best.  Raymond really connected all this together & when he got weary or sloppy, a quick reminder of our purpose here and who we are doing this for would sharpen him right back up and motivate him.  I love it!! :)


Our praise song was a praise to acknowledge Jesus as our KING. "Amazing Love. You are my king.  In all we do, we honor you" !!!! :)



They were all so cute, excited & even nervous for the first day.  They were excited to stay in their pajamas and I was okay with that.  :)  After our devotional, prayer & praise time, we went to the school room and Raymond was actually nervous.  It was good to see him reverent and a bit fearful :)  because then I knew that he understood that God had entrusted us with a great gift and with great gifts come great responsibility.  I'm glad he is ready to take this responsibility seriously.


As soon as we prayed again and asked God for peace & strength & fun - we got right to it and Raymond did the calendar & circle up time with the girls.  He sure does love leading & teaching them.



He breezed through the rest of his desk work and I could see his confidence growing each step.  New territory is always a bit scary!  But God helps us keep going!  He got to type his spelling words to family members and all our book work was over so fast!


Here's our 10 rules we will be working on:


Obligatory first day picture :)


And then, the work was done and we could play!  Work hard, play harder!! :)   Evelyn was SO HAPPY that Raymond didn't have to leave this year.  Really, she cried hysterically last year when Raymond left so she was so excited to not have to say goodbye to him.


And one of my major goals for Raymond & I is to not rush through the work just to check it off the list.   That is a temptation for both of us.  I don't want him to fly through school like I did just checking it off.  I want us to enjoy this process of exploring & learning & growing together!  And the first week of school was a great first step in that direction for all of us!! :)



Here's our "Daddy song" aka Lecrae song for the week. God even cares about the little things and He has proven that over over over again to us.  I wasn't sure how I was going to incorporate music into homeschool because I only have the piano & radio & very slow internet in my bedroom :)  but when my in laws were here our DVD player broke and they bought us a blueray player.   And I was so excited a few days before school we realized it plays youtube videos right on TV.  LOVE IT!! :)  This has been a huge blessing to start our day with!!!!  God is so FUN and caring & cares about the details :)



Raymond had music for resource the first day and he drew his first staff & treble clef.  How cool!! :)  I am going to really enjoy re-learning all of life with my kiddos.

and I could not believe it when I looked down at the end of the day and not only had I homeschooled but I had crossed off almost everything I had written down for my daily goals for myself.  WOW!!! :)  what a banner day!!! :)

 I LOVE being able to be home and together!!!!

Every family is so different. Every season of life is so different.  But I KNOW that THIS was the plan God has designed for MY family and I AM THRILLED to uncover it.

I know for so many years God was trying to communicate - just wait my dear daughter - just wait!  Wait until you uncover what I have for you!!  Keep seeking, my sweet girl!!  It will all be worth the wait...worth the molding.    It's going to be so much better than you can imagine.

I believe it, Lord!  The BEST is still yet to come!   Life is so hard and full of so much brokenness, evil, fear  - but you are good,  always and the gifts you have for us are way better than we can even imagine!!! :)

THANK YOU Lord.  Thank you for your mercy mercy mercy.  Undeserved grace grace grace.  Your patience to work with such imperfect people.   You are powerful. You are loving. You are good! You are King!  

1 comment:

  1. Yay!!! So glad you had an amazing first week! You're going to be so glad you're writing all this down. What great memories.

    ReplyDelete