Monday, October 6, 2014

Weeks 5 & 6 Recap

The girls are continuing with learning one letter a week.  They practice writing it,  reading it, and looking for things all week that start with it.   We are working on 3-letter sight words with all the wonderful puzzles, games, and books people have given us over the years!  


Raymond has got the school rhythm down and he understands we finish our desk work before we play so he likes to go ahead and just get the desk work done so we can move on with the day.  None of the desk work (Spelling, Math, Grammer, Handwriting)  is extremely challenging yet.  It's mostly review, drills, and skills to keep his mind sharp. 


We are incorporating Khan Academy into eachday for Math.  He loves it.  What a great, free resource this is!!  It really is an awesome supplement. 


Mommy has gotten off of Facebook / Instagram but technology is not evil.... or good.....it just is! :)  And we are making it a blessing in our day instead of a hindrance! and we are actually utilizing it more for the kiddos throughout the week.  The girls love the Hooked on Phonics free app on my kindle. Starfall and read aloud books have been good, too.   As long as they do desk work first, stay quiet, and share then they can play it, while RR & I have some 1 on 1. 



With Daddy interviewing for his new job less (finally!) and not having as many meetings, we were able to get into a "normal" (though this schedule doesn't feel normal at all) routine which I was so thankful for!  We were able to exercise every day, which makes us ALL feel so much better!  The girls and I are doing 30 day shred. They are tooo cute. 

 

Annabelle does the 2nd half in her high heels :)


And I notice Evelyn is getting so much stronger already! She really loves to exercise which I am just so proud of!  I love to see her running & smiling like this.  


I really think she notices a difference, too. Here they are saying, "wow Mommy look at how much stronger we are now" 

 

Daddy had a chance to do P.E.with them which made me so happy! :) 


And the most proud moment of my week was this:

 


This is the 2nd time Raymond ran a mile with me.  The first time he kept having to stop and walk and his time was 11:59.  Our goal this time was to beat that time.  He really was protesting going before this 2nd run.  He was having a terrible attitude and just absolutely refused to go.  We discerned it was a time to "push" and not be flexible here.  So, I felt the nudge to teach him WHY it's so important.  And it "just so happens" (yay God) that we picked up a 5 cent book at the library sale that was about exercise & fitness and so I got it out and chose the page on "stamina".    It was perfect!   

I love when books, articles, life,  The Bible, other adults, etc. teach so I don't have to directly teach.   It happens so often.  I really do see & believe that God is the one teaching Raymond and I'm just helping Raymond see it. I'm just helping him interact with the world around him to facilitate it all.     I'm just the coach and as I keep in contact with God, I see what God is doing and point it out.  Because we are just little sheep....prone to wander, prone to not listen... I do sometimes have to lead RR to the lesson directly, but the goal is to do that less & less.   God teaches RR and I'm just one tool He uses -  I love it!  :)

When we look at our children's heart attitudes, what is going on in their day, what they are struggling with,  what the Bible passsages are that we are reading, what the books we are reading are saying... we can look for common threads & discern what God is trying to communicate.   He will tell us what the deeper lessons are.   He will point out areas that need attention.  We can't overspiritualize.  Not everything we read is a direct communication.  But when we keep our hearts open, we WILL see common themes & what God is teaching!   He will tell us important lessons to save away because we will need them later.  God is the perfect planner.   Lessons are so much more powerful & impactful when they are taught as we live.  When they are relevant, personal & happening right then.   YES, there are principles & foundations we need to teach out of a book - but the most important lessons are learned as we live!   As we are DISCIPLED.     It's so much more organic & beautiful when I understand *I* am not the leader and instead, keep my heart open to what THE Leader is doing.    When we yearn for the organic way, it also means it is not predictable.....it's messier....and it means we have to keep alert & open at all times!   A controlled, planned out environment and system of learning would be so much easier wouldn't it?  I assume everybody who knows me knows the parallel I see here.   :) 

I'm getting more tastes every day of beautiful discipleship.  What matters more than anything when we disciple organically is simply a) being PRESENT / living life alongside each other!  b) being connected & close to God so that we can see and hear Him....and c) being ready to grow **together**... this is discipleship!!  Anytime I try to grasp...or control..or get a better hold of the lessons....or rush ahead....it slips through my grasp.  No.  God won't be tamed, controlled, trained or planned.  HE is the leader.  HE is the Shepherd.  Anything that we do that is eternally impactful starts at this foundation.  

Thank you God for the lessons you are teaching each of us!!! 

Back to my recap.... .

So this theme of doing the hard things really ended up being the common theme of the work.  He would have a bad attitude because he wants to do what he wants.  He wants to do what is comfortable, easy, etc.... (sounds familiar).   But he is learning we have to go through some "pain" to get better, stronger, faster, smarter. He is learning to accept uncomfortable things.... so he could be better for the long term.  We are learning DISCIPLINE!!  Discipline is AWESOME.  It's not a negative thing - it's a positive thing!  Corrective discipline is hard, yes.... but that's not all that discipline is!  Discipline in our lives is a blessing!!  We are learning the discipline of hard work ...which pays off in the long term!  The discipline of math drills & exercise & eating well & studying & trying our best at school..... the discipline of giving our best each day so we can improve and BE the best God designed us to be. 

 

As expected....once he felt motivated and had the  bigger picture as to why this matters and how it could help him..... he pushed himself so hard!  He ran the mile in 10:07.  I was so proud of him!!!! :)  I love watching him try his best - whether it's school, running, soccer.  When he is motivated, he really plays with a lot of heart & I love it!! 


We are enjoying this beautiful weather!! and Raymond is also learning the discipline of helping with more chores.  Here he is taking care of the recycling but he made it into a game that he could do on his plasma car. 


The girls still love to help clean around the house which I am so thankful for!


 We had another book club.  Evelyn didn't cry and even talked some about her book, yay!  Raymond read us a Shel Silverstein poem :)  They did their first "book reports" on paper which was cool. 


 We HAVE to do more art. When MomMom gets here, I am determined to do more art with them.  We did learn about Mosaics & created our own with these little magnetic blocks & then with paper. 

 





We added in modeling clay into our "letter of the week" routine ...which made the girlies happy!





Cubscouts has been an awesome supplement to our schooling and we are really trying to take advantage of all there is to learn at cubscouts & in the handbook!   We have lots of fun projects ahead! Raymond was the first "denner" when his name was chosen out of a hat.  He got to wear those cords & help his leaders are meetings. 


Here they are learning about maps: 


Making trail mix: 


and I'm so thankful the girls are lasting longer at meetings now! :) 


The weather has been soo nice!!  On Tuesday we got out of the house with our besties, The Walkers!!!







Raymond was really having some listening/attitude "challenges" by the end of week 6 so I'm very thankful that "Uncle Jim" could get this smile out of him! :)  


And for Friday Funday..... I got my reprieve, praise the Lord!! The kids were sooo good & it was seriously a much needed evening for me!!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment