Saturday, October 11, 2014

Week # 7 Recap

The temperature dipped into the 50s one night and morning :) but we were back up in the 80s by Tuesday. Raymond was hilarious this morning saying he was so cold he had to work in a jacket.



Thanks to Khan Academy & lots of practice, Raymond is enjoying math SOO much more!   He loves the feedback on Khan Academy with racking up points/earning rewards.   It has sucked him in good haha. He will even ask if he can do more and ask to move onto new topics just so he can earn more points.  Eventually, I hope to teach him that these skills are what is most important and learning itself is the reward....but whatever! :)  We have time for deeper lessons.

For Bible time, we are enjoying the BSF take home training lessons each morning.  God speaks to us through the Bible - He is alive & these stories are so relevant and applicable to our lives!

We are still learning about Ancient Rome for history.  We found some really great books at our library trip this week.  I don't remember learning ANY of these things. I am enjoying so much re-learning all of this.  It's amazing to see the influence of ancient culture on us still today!!

For science we are still doing experiments with liquids/density.  We made our own "lava lamp" and did experiment with pepper/water/soap to talk about water being charged & the differences in oil & water.  I need to do more science with them!!!   I have plenty of resources & ideas...just have to do a better job of setting aside time and being okay with the mess of it all :)






When we went to the library, the 4H club was out there promoting 4H and building rockets with children.  Raymond loved it! His rocket got closer to the landing ring than anybody's I saw.  I can see him being an engineer.  Or a Disney imagineer :)   I love how God added in some science for me since I knew I wasn't doing enough   To build the rocket itself, it took creativity & imagination & engineering.  Then for launch he had to experiment, do math/angles/geometry, observations of wind direction, then study the results & figure out what was going wrong with the positioning, angle, force the rocket itself....then make adjustments & observe/record results again. It was a good day.






















For art, we did recycle art, one of his faves.  He chose to make a factory.  I am not sure what the factory made....but he loaded whatever it was onto his recycle art trucks he had already made.  




Next, we started working on recognizing foreground, middle ground, background.  He is working on his first picture with a noticeable foreground, middle & back.  He seemed excited to have this new dimension to work with and not just linear height & weight.  Yay for depth :)  hehe

I really can see Raymond becoming an architect some day.  I will have to save this pic.  He said he wanted to create a place for the Church to gather and sing to Jesus but still be outside.  I thought it was a beautiful & symbolic design.  :)



Lots of soccer practicing this week to get outside and get some exercise in the beautiful weather.  I also know it's hard to take direction all day long and I don't want to be a control freak (which I can be sometimes!) so I am really working hard at giving Raymond freedom in each day.  He landscaped the backyard, cleared out more of the area under our "canopy".... put one of our tables in the shade....and made sure to do some climbing, too.  Love seeing him be able to get outside during the day and just GO and explore and climb!!   Evelyn & Annabelle helped me move some plants this week and they have been good helpers watering each day.










The next morning after clearing out the yard... Raymond asked if they could do their desk work outside. Yes yes yes, please!!  This was great for all of us! :)  I stayed inside and had some quiet since I've been struggling to get up before the kids get up each morning!!!





We are learning about each instrument in the orchestra for music - through Khan Academy.  We did the harp this week.  It really is an amazing instrument!!  Wow!  

I can't believe week 7 is over!

My favorite moment of the week was cuddling in Annabelle's bed with all 3 of my babies as I read them a classic! :)  We are reading Swiss Family Robinson together.  I loved that moment.  They were all interested & being attentive.  Annabelle fell asleep with her head on my shoulder as I read.   I really don't think I like Brandon's schedule right now working 3 to 11pm --- but moments like that where the 4 of us are snuggled in and peaceful reading a good book really help me endure!

I certainly can get easily tired and lack joy easily because of the extra burdens on me right now with Brandon's new schedule & MBA.  But, I can not complain. I have to stop throwing pity parties!!  I have SO MUCH to be thankful for!! I am so spoiled.

I am trying hard to learn from the kiddos...how to just BE in the moment.  How to LAUGH and be HAPPY.  The girls were so especially cute & sweet this week and that makes things so much better & easier.

I love their ages right now so much. I feel like God has given me a fresh boost of love...He loves to answer that prayer!! "God help me love them more. Fill me with more love!!"   I want to just snuggle with them and get all the hugs & kisses I want.  I am disgusted that I'm often cranky and just try to get through the day.  There is no reason to act like that!!!  I don't know why I behave like that.  Distracted. Unthankful. Not present.  I know God is going to help me get back to being present & focused & HERE.   Getting off Facebook was a beautiful leap in that direction.  They are growing up so fast.  I can't believe my BABY is gonna be 3.  

When I look at the family dynamics, Raymond got a lot of attention these first 7 weeks.  I really felt I needed to get a rhythm down and to make sure he was under my 'reins'... I feel like God did those things!!  We are bonded & in a good groove so I feel like I can relax and look at the bigger picture more and just LOVE LOVE LOVE.  

The girls have been SOO patient and God is gonna help me give more time & affection to them and I'm so thankful for that!!    I want to enjoy them!! I want to laugh with them and not worry about messes and not be distracted.  I want to be fully present.  It's very hard to do these things when I'm not getting the rests/breaks I'm used to....but I'm trying my best!!  I'm so thankful for His grace.  And MomMom is on her way!!!!

Oh my goodness I love these kiddos so much.  I want to be fully present & enJOY them!! Help me enjoy them Lord!!!








And the week ended beautifully... again.   I appreciate the weekends so much more now than I did.  It really is a time to RELAX and recoup.  I know Brandon is thankful for this change :) 





No comments:

Post a Comment