Saturday, November 8, 2014

Weeks # 9 & 10 Recap

I don't have a "what Mommy is learning" section this time.  There's just too much to type in one blog. Maybe someday I can publish a book about it all! :)

Soooo, after the 9th week of homeschooling, we wrote down everything we had done in every subject up until that point and I was impressed by it.  It filled up 4 sheets of paper.  It's amazing how much learning that our kiddos can do in a day!   Raymond really is doing great and I must say I thoroughly enjoy teaching!! What a dream come true, really!   We are done with our first quarter of homeschooling!!  I can't believe it.  We ended the first quarter with the trip of a lifetime to Disney with the 3 Lil Rookies.  What an awesome year this has been for them!!  

BUT we've been home from Disney 2 weeks and it hasn't felt like a dream at all lol.  I have been noticing a real drastic change in Raymond's behavior & desire to do school work.  He seems "off" in general in attitude....which makes sense... because whenever I go in a slump... soon after, Raymond follows.  What a motivation for me to really stay in tune with the Lord & set a good example.  Whatever I act like and whatever I do....he will follow and multiply it by 10.   Ouch.  

I imagine that this is a very common & predictable thing to go through with homeschooling (or all students).  It's probably very common to have an attitude slump right about 9 weeks into it.   We are definitely past the "review" stage and he is being challenged, we are past the excitement stage that comes with beginning a new adventure, we had a time change, he's been having extra sugar because of Halloween treats, and then add onto all that detoxing from his first Disney vacation.... no wonder it's been a messy 2 weeks!!!   Thank you God that MomMom has been here for a month!    So one of the beautiful things about homeschooling is that as a Mommy, I have the freedom to say... okay let's get away from this desk....out of these 4 walls and let's go explore!!  So we have been doing all kinds of adventures, outside times and I'm excited that we are getting more involved with other homeschooling families!

Thank God for the Goofy pen after our vacation or desk work the past 2 weeks would have been even worse :) 


The first days after Disney, it was sooo warm so we made sure to do lots of learning outside :)  and at our favorite place.  We made sure we were all learning while we were there!!  


We studied dolphins


RR is learning how to be more and more patient with the girls and be a good brother/friend to all ages and genders :)  What an awesome lesson that is! 



The girls worked on letter matching with shells:


and Raymond worked on shell identification: 


The budding artists are still budding :) and I love their work: 



 

The past 2 weeks has definitely felt a big upside down :) and it's been harder to reel them in.... so I love what my friends suggested to just throw my feet up and get upside too and just roll with it :) 


Perhaps the best lessons Raymond is learning being home more is just how to love better.  How to be more gentle with the girls & considerate.  How to love them by reading with them and doing what THEY want too....not always what he wants.  It's gonna be a long process :)   


And this was one of my favorite moments the past 2 weeks.  I had a terrible headcold so Brandon was able to step in and do the start of the day with them.  Here they are doing a devo.  I love it!! :) 


Raymond does enjoy helping & teaching the girls so that is a great thing!


I loved these alphabet / number trail sheets we found for Evelyn.  Wow when I first looked at this pic, I thought it was Annabelle!!


I am hoping that one of the lessons we will continue to learn this year is the importance of taking care of our things.  MomMom is here.... and that is very obvious from these pictures!!!! Beds made, toys picked up....we gotta work better at keeping it looking like this! 


We had our first Co op!! It was so great. Allison taught about the cape fear indians (they made their own canoes and decorated them).  Miranda taught about density, molecules, etc.... and surface tensino of water (tissue paper with paper clip). It was fun!! 






We enjoyed our annual Halloween tradition of giving out candy and letting trick or treaters know Jesus loves them.  I think this a great lesson time for the kiddos. 


And in cubscouts, the boys are learning about knife safety and will start using their knives soon (ahh!!) 


We went to the Cape Fear Museum and read lots about our local history and science. 




Raymond started chess club!!  Sarah Russ did an awesome job with that and I think that will be great for Raymond! 



And we had our 2nd co op!!  I taught about "arrival of the europeans" to our area.  This week we talked about explorers, told Verazzano's story of landing in the cape fear area and studied some world maps (Verazzano map compared to today's).  They mapped Verazzano's route, labeled continents and had lots of "take home assignments" they could do.  This really was a dream come true for me... to teach a room full of great listeners who wanted to engage & answer questions!  I especially loved it because it was history!  History / social studies has always been my favorite and this really reminded me why!  I love stories!  History rocks!!



Raymond finished up his soccer season!  They were such a great team.  They are doing so awesome!  They actually pass the ball, look for each other, work together.  It is so much fun!  Raymond played offense for the first time today and did SO GREAT.  We always say he is a defensive player...but watching today, I know he can do whatever he choices.  Midfield would be awesome for him so he could do both.  It was so fun to watch!  And he was so HAPPY!!  He ran around like crazy and "was everywhere!" as Jaylyn's Dad loved to shout.  I loved this season and this group! :) 


And Evelyn started dance class!!  Oh my goodness this dance studio is GREAT and she LOVED her first class.  I am so impressed with all they did that first class and all she remembered.  She was totally adorable and is getting over her shyness so quickly!  She is growing up so much and is so happy and confident and FUN.  I love seeing her spread her wings and enjoy these things so much.  I am such a proud Mommy.  I am most proud of how she leans on Jesus.  Before my co op when I was nervous to teach, she was the one to pray over me.  When I asked her before dance if she was ready to go, she said, "of course!  I prayed!"   What a sweetie pie Evelyn is and it is just SO great to see her so cheerful & happy. Ever since Disney, she has just been a blast and so cheerful and energetic!!  So thankful for all the fruit coming up in her heart/life!  Praise God! :) 

 Annabelle is of course spicy sweet Annabelle !:) She can't wait to go to dance too - one more year.  Our goal for Annabelle right now is potty training!  





This is SUCH a great season of life.  YES it's so so so hard to not have Daddy around so much and we MISS HIM SO MUCH!!! BUT there are SO MANY positives about this season as well and I won't focus on the negative anymore. I am over my crankiness and bad attitudes and I'm ready to be thankful & give the gift of joy & happiness to those around me. 

Cuz when Mama is happy - everybody is happy!! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment